Tuesday, March 26, 2013

REVIEW: School Spirits by Rachel Hawkins

School Spirits by Rachel Hawkins

Plot:

   Fifteen-year-old Izzy Brannick was trained to fight monsters. For centuries, her family has hunted magical creatures. But when Izzy's older sister vanishes without a trace while on a job, Izzy's mum decides they need to take a break.
   Izzy and her mum moves to a new town, but they soon discover it's not as normal as it appears. A series of hauntings has been plaguing the local high school, and Izzy is determined to prove her worth and investigate. But assuming the guise of an average teenager is easier said than done. For a tough girl who'd always been on her own, it's strange to suddenly make friends and maybe even a crush. 
   Can Izzy trust her new friends to help find the secret behind the hauntings before anybody get hurt?

My review:

   This book was everything mixed together -- a bit of humour, supernatural, tiny bit of action and sarcasm. I loved it.
   In the story, we are introduced to Izzy Brannick and her family -- her mum, missing older sister and TORIN!!! I LOVE TORIN!!
   Anyway, the Brannick family (minus Izzy's older sister) moves to a new town for a what's supposed to be a small case but turned out to be more than small. Moving to somewhere new means a lot to Izzy, especially when she has to start a new school for the first time ever in her supernatural life. She is determined to prove to her mum that she can take care of her own missions, but that seemed kind of impossible when the 'small' case turned out to be a massive problem in her school.
   The characters were great!! Izzy was just like a normal girl, not acting or thinking like someone that hunts supernatural creatures at all. And of course, Dex, Romy and Anderson were amazing.
   The only thing that let me down a bit is that, yes, this story had a bit of humour in it, but when it's supposed to be funny, it's not at all. I find myself laughing at the non-funny parts and not laughing at the funny parts. It's like Rachel tries too hard at some point, so if she'd just let it flow, everything would have been really funny.
   And also, I am a BIG HUGE fan of romance so I was always wondering when the romance bit is going to show up. To be honest, I had no idea who the guy was going to be. I couldn't guess between Adam, Dex or Torin. But I guess it was Rachel specialty to make the reader confuse and then surprised when the guy is revealed (not literally). 
   Anyway, I loved reading this book. One moment I was 10% in, then 50% and then I finished it. It just all went so fast that I was sad that it ended. 
   I give this book 4.5 stars out of 5.
Can't wait for what Rachel has in store next!!!!
   
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

SPILL IT !!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...